Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Lakeside: the Chautauqua on Lake Erie

I Love Lakeside.

The compound itself is still there along with all the beloved sights and sounds. I was able to take a day trip to our favorite location this side of Antarctica and was able to share this experience with a noob. Not only was it his first time to Lakeside, but a first time for many things! I will share with you our experiences:

Before even entering the compound, we had an Allen sighting! What a way to start off the day!!

Since it is before June 20, and the fact that it was the Western Ohio U.M. Conference, there were NO GATE FEES.

Oh, and no parking fees along with the no gate fees. Of course, there were no parking spots due to the 5,000 laymen and clergy wandering our streets.

Taught him how to play Shuffleboard. The fact that I won 79 - 13 shows nothing of the amazing shots he made! He cleared my St. Pete block, knocked out my high 8 and his disc landed in the 10 in one shot. Unfortunately for him I had the hammer.


We then dined at Sloopy's with a most excellent pizza. Since there was a shortage of tables, we invited an elderly couple to sit with us at our 4-top. What an experience! I'll tell you more of that in person if you ask...

After Sloopy's we grabbed our fishing poles and headed back to the dock. My friend caught absolutely nothing and I didn't do much better. Over the past 4 years at Lakeside, I have not caught ANYTHING. Well, this time I caught a 2 inch Goby, a couple 4 inch Gobys

and a 16.5 inch sheephead. So, I guess you could say that I, too, didn't catch anything! :)


After an hour of fishing, I took my friend on a Sunfish for about a half hour. This was his first time on a sailboat and he thoroughly enjoyed himself. We did not tip.


Following our sailing trip, we headed out for home but not before we drove past the Marblehead Lighthouse.

All of Lakeside in a day! The weather was 79 degrees and sunny. Not a drop of rain!

Final report: all of Lakeside is prepared for our invasion in less than 3 weeks! :) I warned the Shuffleboard hut and Sloopy's to be prepared...

No comments:

Post a Comment