Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Needs, Sabbath, and Scum

Mark chapter 2 is another power-packed punch. The book of Mark is known not only for being the most chronological book of the Gospels, but also it presents story after story, example after example, parable after parable with no time to breathe between KOs.

Perhaps you've read the story of four friends bringing a paralytic to Jesus, only to find the place is packed so they build an elevator and drop the man in front of Jesus. Clearly He knows our needs because Jesus immediately forgives the man of his sins. Oftentimes God, in the Old Testament, calls out a person's sin by unleashing an illness or a disease. I believe that's why in John chapter 9 Jesus' disciples asked Him about a blind man: "Why was this man born blind? Was it because of his own sins or his parents' sins?"

And just to prove that He is God, Jesus not only forgives the man's sins (notice the plurality), but He also lavishes on the man (and us) things we want: healing. The man jumped up and walked out. I firmly believe that the man's spirit would have been flying high already because the burden of the years he spent living with guilt was no longer weighing him down.

Stinking bratty Pharisees. They watched Jesus closely in order to yell at Him for breaking rules. Like picking grain on the Sabbath. Or healing on the Sabbath. Things for which one would supposedly be killed ("the Pharisees went...to plot to kill Jesus"). I've never really observed Lent, partially because I would probably mess up and be plastered as the poster-boy for what not to do. But also because I find it a religious act that runs the person (Who says you can't eat meat on Friday? Why isn't fish meat?). I like the Christian religion not because of the rules but because of the freedom. One Christian can observe Lent and be fulfilled while another can not observe Lent and be drawn closer to God all the same.

And the religious community is notorious for eating up its own kin. Cannibalism even. Too often we take the Pharisees role and watch for our brothers and sisters to fall, only to hold them extra accountable because we would NEVER do what they did. But look at me. I've never worked at a secular job on a Sunday, claiming I'm a Christian and I don't work Sundays for religious reasons (ok, once on Mother's Day at a restaurant). And yet, as a pastor, Sundays are the days I work the most, especially around Easter- extra practices, rehearsals, multiple services... a little Pharisaical of me if I don't say so myself.

So point the finger at me- I deserve it. I've eaten the sacred loaves.

But what a relief when Jesus says that "healthy people don't need a doctor- sick people do. (Jesus has) come to call not those who think they are righteous, but those who know they are sinners." And "The Sabbath was made to met the needs of people, and not people to meet the requirements of the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is Lord, even over the Sabbath!" EVEN OVER ME!

Prayer: I admit: I am scum. I am a Pharisee. I am sick and in need of a Doctor. So my sins may not be plastered across the front page or commented on through Facebook. No one would find my sins in any Google search but You know they are there. And what's more: I know they are there. And one step further: I know that You know they are there. I've been on both sides: the sinner being pointed out by the Pharisees and the Pharisee pointing out the sinner. This is no joking matter. I need Your healing touch. Forgive my sins. You are God. Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment